A full renovation of Haddon Hall by famed designer Ken Fulk restored the exquisite original architecture while bringing it up to date as a reconfigured luxury residential building, complete with garage parking. Nine spacious residences, including a sprawling duplex penthouse with a rooftop terrace, have been finished with a level of detail and customization rarely seen in today’s residential development.
Designed in 1894 by architect J. Pickering Putnam for real estate developer William Henry Harrison Newman, Haddon Hall originally offered “french flat” style apartments along with shared dining rooms and parlors where residents could exchange ideas. This historic luxury apartment building was built with every modern amenity to attract notable residents listed in Boston’s Blue Book.
Located at the corner of Berkeley Street and Commonwealth Avenue, the eleven-story building of steel, wood and brick was most notable for the stir it caused in the Back Bay just after its initial construction. Neighborhood regulations, which were established before elevators, required a minimum building height of three stories but had not set a maximum. The ensuing controversy of 29 Commonwealth’s height led to new restrictions in 1896, leaving Haddon Hall the tallest structure from this brief period in the city’s architectural history. From then on, no other building would ever rise or be altered to offer comparable views in the heart of the Back Bay.